Water damage is the most common type of property damage, and it can happen to anyone. You use your plumbing system and water-based appliances every day, so something is bound to go wrong eventually. When it does, it will cost you money, and if you don’t take care of the problem right away, your health could be affected too.
In the event of a plumbing leak localized to the ceiling or a wall, there will be signs and symptoms that present in time. Knowing these signs can help you reduce the cost and damage caused by water. We’re here to educate you on the signs of ceiling and wall water damage.
Common Signs of Ceiling and Wall Water Leaks
- Smells — One of the earliest signs you have a water leak is the smell. A strong, unpleasant odor often accompanies a plumbing leak, as the hidden water begins to pool and form mold and bacteria. It’s a musty, earthy odor.
- Visual Damage — The visible signs of water damage from a hidden leak may appear similar to a dirty wall, peeling paint or unexplained stains. The telltale sign of a leak in the ceiling is often a circular stain that is darker in the center, where the water is dripping, and spreads outward.
- Sagging Ceiling — Your ceiling will start to sag over time as water damages the structure. The tiles may also buckle and drop due to saturation.
- Rising Water Bill — An early warning sign of a serious plumbing leak is generally present on your monthly water bill. If you compare your current bill to previous month’s bills and notice your water usage has dramatically increased, that may be concerning. You’re still paying for the water streaming from a leaking pipe.
- Warped Walls — If there’s a water leak, the drywall will absorb lots of moisture and start to warp. If it warps too much, it can cause severe damage that replacing the material entirely would be less expensive than repairing.
The Cost of the Damage from a WaterLeak
While it’s impossible to give a concrete number for a water leak, we can explore the factors that will affect the total price. For example, when you receive a quote for water damage restoration from a local restoration company, they’ll consider a few key factors. These include the source, area, extent of the damage, required materials and the process and labor involved with the job.
Before any work begins, you’ll have a thorough quote in your hands to approve or deny as you see fit.
At Restoration our water damage restoration and ceiling and wall water cleanup services are available 24/7. We’re the top restoration company in the nation because we offer a guarantee that you won’t find anywhere else!